Sr. Unix Systems Engineer
- Job Reference: 72896206-2
- Date Posted: 7 October 2018
- Location: Westwood, California
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Education/Training
- Job Type: Permanent
Under the direction of the Manager of Enterprise Platform Services, provide support for Unix/Linux operating systems and hardware platforms. Major functions include design, build, implementation, and support of the Unix/Linux infrastructure. Responsible for day to day operations, trouble tickets, system maintenance, system configuration, and adhering to standard operating procedures within IT Systems, including staff training and documentation. Role functions also include, but are not limited to design, design validation, installation, performance monitoring, optimization, troubleshooting and maintenance of a variety of systems, operating systems, and hardware platforms. Participate in the weekly rotational after-hours on-call support.
1. Knowledge of Open Systems, such as AIX, Suse and RedHat,
2. Ability to monitor and report on management systems
3. Knowledge of DevOps engineering practices
4. Knowledge IBM Power Systems Management
5. Knowledge of IBM PowerHA
6. Knowledge of DNS, DHCP, WINS and TCP/IP
7. Able to prepare detailed project plans, presentations, procedures, diagrams and other technical documentation
8. Must participate in the weekly on call rotation for after-hours support
9. Ability to work independently with minimal supervision as well as in a team environment
10. Ability to research and test new technologies and processes
11. Establish standards and procedures for best practices, enabling commitments to established SLA's.
12. Demonstrated ability to develop creative solutions to complex problems.
13. Experience with storage management systems, such as NAS, SAN and iSCSI
14. Experience with virtual environment, such as PowerVM, VMWare ESX 6.x
15. Knowledge of TSM, NIM, MKSYSB, Veeam and Rubrik
16. Knowledge of Nagios, Centrify, Splunk and Mail-Relay
17. Knowledge of TWS and DocuWiki
19. Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment
20. Ability to communicate the status of various systems to management and/or support personnel.
21. Ability to skillfully react to a fluid and constantly changing work environment.
22. Ability to train, delegate and review the work of lower level staff
23. Ability to prioritize and organize work assignments
24. Strong technical leadership abilities with excellent communication and interpersonal skills