Software Systems Engineer
- Job Reference: 82462343-2
- Date Posted: 15 March 2019
- Recruiter: NetApp
- Location: Boulder, Colorado
- Salary: On Application
- Sector: Education/Training
- Job Type: Permanent
NetApp is the data authority for hybrid cloud. We provide a full range of hybrid cloud data services that simplify management of applications and data across cloud and on-premises environments to accelerate digital transformation. Together with our partners, we empower global organizations to unleash the full potential of their data to expand customer touchpoints, foster greater innovation and optimize their operations.
About the Role
NetApp | SolidFire is looking for a Systems Software Engineer who is passionate about working in the Linux Operating Systems to build solutions for our state-of-the-art storage and compute solution. This is a high visibility role that will impact the fundamental performance of our cloud infrastructure products.
As a Software Engineer on our team, you will work as part of a truly innovative, fun and growing team responsible for delivering platforms for the NetApp Hybrid Cloud Infrastructure product.
You will focus on new product development, hardware diagnostics and enhancements to existing products. So having a mix of software and hardware knowledge is key.
What you will do:
* Participate in Agile teams to develop, test, and debug our custom Linux distribution
* Work on implementation and verification of systems/subsystems
* Responsible for providing support in development and testing activities of other engineers that involve several interdependencies
* Diagnose, debug and perform root cause analysis of issues and defects
* Design and develop reliable, scalable and maintainable OS and tests to validate complex storage features
* Work in a fast paced environment, operate gracefully under stress and handle multiple assignments in parallel
* Participate in technical discussions within the team and with other groups within Business Units associated with specified projects
* Perform performance analysis, reliability and hardware failure diagnosis on platforms that are being developed
* 6+ years of professional experience working as a Software Engineer for a software development team working in Linux OS and/or kernel
* Linux experience building and qualifying Linux distros
* Linux Shell script such as BASH and/or C++ programming skills
* An inquisitive mind and a desire to promote innovation
* Successfully completed multiple, moderately complex technical tasks.
* Ability to execute on initiatives that will contribute towards NetApp's business goals, as well as establish NetApp's industrial leadership.
* Proficiency in product development and support within a Linux environment.
* Ability to conduct performance analysis and optimization for features and systems.
* Ability to provide remote and onsite support to NetApp high profile customer field issues involving Linux (and its derivative) device and HBA drivers as part of the solution.
* Ability to work on a diverse team or with a diverse range of people.
* Demonstrated favorable results through coaching and influencing others
* A degree in Computer Science or Engineering or experience in a related field.
You might also have:
* Desire to work with lower level protocols
* Experience as a technical contributor on an agile team
* Experience working with system level products such as hyper-converged or enterprise storage appliances are the perfect match, but other industries could include networking, operating systems, virtualization, security, telecommunications and database systems
* Familiarity with Atlassian tools (e.g. Jira, Confluence)
* Experience working in SAFe or Lean Agile environment at plus
What you will love about us
Education: Bachelor's Degree in CS or related field and/or Masters
* Our Culture: It's our culture and our people. If you ask anyone at NetApp why they work here, the answer is inevitably the same: it's the people
* Our Location: We have a beautiful Boulder office, with amazing Flatiron views, on the vibrant downtown Pearl Street Mall
* Health Benefits: NetApp provides comprehensive medical, dental, wellness, and vision plans for you and your family
* Financial and Savings Programs: Whether it's flexible spending, stock purchases, or competitive retirement plans, we work with you to capitalize on total compensation now and into the future
* Work Life balance and more: To make sure of work-life balance, we offer paid and volunteer time off, educational assistance, legal services, and access to discounts and fitness centers
* Global Diversity, Inclusion, and Belonging: We fully embrace and advance a diverse, inclusive global workforce with a culture of belonging that leverages the backgrounds of all to cultivate a higher performing organization
At NetApp, we take care of each other. Join us, and we'll help each other do our best work!