8901 - Corp Office West Crk - 12800 Tuckahoe Creek Parkway, Richmond, Virginia, 23238
CarMax, the way your career should be!
ABOUT THIS JOB:
The Software Engineer is responsible for the development, implementation, maintenance, and support of software solutions. Associates in this position must be experienced in advanced programming, design patterns, and databases. This job requires a key hands-on contributor in the software development life-cycle, performing analysis and design as well as influencing development teams to achieve project goals. Associate is a proven team player and highly qualified to identify development tasks across the application stack. Software Engineers have a passion for their craft and a passion for continued education.
Software Engineer - Private Cloud
We are looking for a Software Engineer to contribute to the iterative evolution of the on-premise private cloud platform and applications used to manage the platform through effective solution design, development and deployment leveraging automation whenever possible. Our team is responsible for the on-premise private cloud platform. We support application teams and business teams to help ensure reliability and resiliency of their systems and of the private cloud platform. Our team automates and develops self-service capabilities to enable our internal customers to move quickly and deliver on the needs of the business by building systems that enable capabilities while ensuring CarMax Enterprise standards are maintained. Our time is divided between consulting with our internal customers and continually evolving the platform and its operations using solid engineering and agile practices.
The ideal candidate must demonstrate a strong infrastructure background, automation experience and some software development experience all preferably in cloud technologies and they must have a strong aptitude to self-learn. They must have hands-on experience with building infrastructure using automation (Infrastructure-as-code), solid technology operations experience, as well as strong teamwork and technical leadership skills. Finally, the ideal candidate must demonstrate their ability to communicate clearly to both technical and non-technical roles.
What you will do - Essential Responsibilities
- Communicate regularly both verbally and in writing at various levels to include management, and other engineers and developers
- Focus on developing, implementing and operationalizing solutions that are highly available and resilient by utilizing best practices in systems engineering, network engineering, and multi-site design strategies
- Partner with multiple application teams to provide guidance and patterns for building and deploying infrastructure
- Partner with the Cyber Security team to ensure that environments and patterns meet CarMax security standards
- Perform configuration, troubleshooting, and ongoing management of various technologies
- Build infrastructure and systems for scalability, resiliency, availability, and recovery though infrastructure-as-code
- Help develop our self-service and automated tooling to empower application teams to move fast, yet provide the guardrails to ensure the quality and security of our systems
- Stay on top of industry trends and best practices to continually improve what we do, how we do it, and ensure our internal customer experience is always improving
Position Requirements-What we are really looking for:
- Deep technical experience in infrastructure design, build and deployment, including private and public cloud, networking, connectivity, storage, virtualization, and access control
- Demonstrable experience with a large range of private cloud capabilities including but not limited to virtualization, storage, virtual networking, web apps, Active Directory, access management, and automated deployments
- Demonstrable experience with software development preferably with one or more of PowerShell, Bash, Python
- Demonstrable experience engineering and supporting Windows or Linux OS
- Demonstrable experience building and deploying resilient infrastructure architecture
- Demonstrable experience consuming or managing CI/CD pipelines using tools such as GitHub, Team City, or Azure DevOps
- Strong attention to detail, problem investigation and diagnostic skills
- Mentor team in platform management and reusable patterns
- Strong sense of ownership, customer service, and integrity demonstrated through clear communication and positive action.
- Passion for eliminating repetitive manual processes using automation
- Self-Starter and Self-Learner
Education and/or Experience:
•4+ years of working in and building Infrastructure within a private or public cloud platform
•2+ years scripting or coding experience with one or more languages
•4+ years of relevant IT experience in large / complex IT architecture environments
•4 year degree in IT related course of study or equivalent experience
CarMax disrupted the auto industry by delivering the honest, transparent and high-integrity experience customers want and deserve. This innovative thinking around the way cars are bought and sold has helped us become the nation's largest retailer of used cars, with over 200 locations nationwide.
Our amazing team of more than 25,000 associates work together to deliver iconic customer experiences. Along the way, we help every associate grow their career and achieve their best, at work and in their community. We are recognized for our commitment to training and diversity and are one of the FORTUNE 100 Best Companies to Work For®.
CarMax is an equal opportunity employer, and all qualified candidates will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, protected veteran status, disability status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Upon an applicant's request, CarMax will consider reasonable accommodation to complete the CarMax Job Application.