Purpose, Scope & Dimension of Job:
The role of the Senior Network Engineer (SNE) is to provide the design, setup, implementation, maintenance and ongoing improvement of the College's network infrastructure and network support devices. The SNE also assists in the design and process creation related to the server infrastructure. The SNE will design, implement and maintain the college's security infrastructure, including Firewalls and other security-related devices and procedures. The SNE's ensures the continual availability of the systems and services while coordinating maintenance and service windows with the College community.
The SNE will act as a team lead for technical decisions and technical design of the college infrastructure and services but will not have any supervisory responsibilities.
Minimum Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Possession of a Bachelor's degree in a computer/network/technical or related field.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP), or Juniper Enterprise Routing and Switching, Professional (JNCIP-ENT), or equivalent or more advanced certification from a different network manufacture.
- Directly related experience (may be earned concurrently) in the following areas:
- Five years experience with network infrastructure configuration and maintenance.
- Three years experience with system administration on Linux based systems (Red Hat Enterprise Linux or similar).
- One year experience with server maintenance and hardware, server terminology and procedures, basic methods of troubleshooting and technical assistance.
- Demonstrated positive communication and teamwork skills. Have the ability to multitask and prioritize.
- Strong initiative and the ability to work successfully in an environment with minimal direction.
- Demonstrated work history of providing high quality, strong customer-oriented services including:
- problem-solving orientation
- strong listening skills
- history of coordinated work effort with extensive follow-through and follow-up
- experience identifying customer needs
- effective communication and people skills.
- Ability and interest to function effectively as a team player.
Additional Preferred Qualifications:
- Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert (CCIE), or Juniper Enterprise Routing and Switching, Expert (JNCIE-ENT), or equivalent certification from a different manufacture.
- Experience in managing a network infrastructure in a Multi-homed network environment.
- Experience in managing a Multiprotocol Label Switching network (MPLS).
- Experience in managing a Palo Alto Firewall.
- Experience managing a Wide Area Network (WAN).
- Experience working with Packetfence or other Network Access Control (NAC) solution.
- Experience working in an educational organization.
- Experience administering Asterisk soft-PBX.
- Experience administering Active Directory.
- Experience in a virtual infrastructure environment such as VMware Infrastructure or VMware vSphere.
- Experience using and configuring Polycom point of call stations.
- Experience administering Google G Suite for Education.
- Experience configuring and working with Border Gateway Patrol (BGP) and other advanced routing techniques.
- Demonstrated ability to identify and resolve difficult network and system-related problems using troubleshooting and decision making.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
As an affirmative action/equal opportunity institution, the College encourages diversity and provides equal opportunity in education, employment, all of its programs, and the use of its facilities. The College does not discriminate in educational or employment opportunities or practices on the basis of race, sex, color, religion, gender, national origin, veteran's status, age, disability unrelated to an individual's ability to perform adequately, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by law.