Job Title: Principal Software Systems Engineer
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Job Description: Our client, a large defense contractor, has an immediate opening for a Principal Software Systems Engineer to work from their Pittsburgh, PA facility. Our client makes software that interactively visualizes data. They make software that enables massive collaboration. They make software that supports our men and women in the military, that smooths the way of emergency responders here at home, that offers insight to researchers and data analysts. They are a passionate, close-knit group of inter-disciplinary thinkers and doers that craft truly one-of-a-kind software used all over the world, and they do it from our cozy-casual office here in Pittsburgh.
Equal Opportunity Employer Veterans/Disabled.
Qualifications: Bachelors degree in Computer Engineer, Systems Engineering, Software Engineering or Computer Science and at least 10 years relevant experience; or Master's degree plus a minimum of 8 years of relevant experience.Agile experience preferred
CLEARANCE REQUIREMENTS: Department of Defense Top Secret security clearance is required at the time of hire (TS/SCI strongly preferred).Applicants selected will be subject to a U.S. Government security investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information. Due to the nature of work performed within our facilities, U.S. citizenship is required.
In this role, you will:
- Guide all phases of system development and support for new business pursuits related to the battle management, emergency response, and data analytics systems by providing technical strategy, operational concept development, system architecture definition, requirements analysis, trade studies, and leadership through design, implementation, integration, and test phases.
- Be a clear and enthusiastic communicator to customers, users, subcontractors, and project teams to define, analyze, and meet project goals. You will coordinate across design, development, test, project leadership, program management, and customer representatives, creating a collaborative environment that focuses on the big picture. You will be a technical spokesperson for our company, conveying insight and confidence.
- Work towards a high-level vision, but understand the importance of details. You will proactively identify and mitigate risks and define reasonable trade space from which the team can operate. Managing multiple concurrent projects and RFIs will require you to prioritize strategically.
- Proactively determine use cases and requirements, define your own tasks, and execute with little oversight. You will accomplish program goals despite obstacles, ambiguity, changing requirements, and a fast-paced environment.
- Apply systems thinking to software, processes, people, and organizations. You will help harden software and processes into mature, mission-critical, "must-work products.
- Mentor and guide less experienced engineers, because you are motivated to improve our work environment and help others.
- Support and develop our technical culture by being engaged, intellectually curious, friendly, motivated to solve complex problems, and inspired to deliver superior user-centered designs.
- Strong fundamentals in data structures and algorithms
- Solid object oriented programming and software design skills
Candidates should have demonstrated strengths and experience in the following areas:
- Strong leadership skills suitable for recruiting, leading and managing teams of engineers to solve challenging problems
- User Interface development
- Computer science theory (e.g., data structures, algorithms, computational complexity)
- Appreciation for user-centric design
- Full use and understanding of software engineering concepts, principles, and theories
- Effective communication and attention to detail
- Deep exposure to Unix/Linux systems as well as Windows