Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Livermore Computing (LC) Accounts Specialist to provide general tier 1 technical support for approximately 3,500 users of the LC supercomputing systems. You will be responsible for providing support by phone, in person or through email to answer and resolve requests for all LC account services provided by the LC Hotline. This position is in the Customer Service Group within the Livermore Computing Division of the Computation Directorate.
This position will be filled at either the 525.2 or 525.3 level depending on your qualifications. Additional job responsibilities (outlined below) will be assigned if you are selected at the higher level.
- Support the administration of LC user accounts, OTP tokens, banks, UNIX groups, and shared directories, while ensuring users are equipped to efficiently and effectively use computers.
- Provide excellent customer service and support a diverse user community to answer and resolve customer calls and requests, document all service calls and solutions, and research and troubleshoot LC account issues.
- Provide general technical support to solve technical problems of moderate complexity within the LC user community in support of all of the account services
- Document and maintain LC Accounts Specialists' email templates, processes, and procedures.
- Maintain appropriate technology, computer security, and safety training.
- Process account and UNIX group creations and deletions via the LC Identity Management tool.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
In Addition at the 525.3 Level
- Provide advanced technical assistance to the LC user community by answering calls, emails, and self service requests from users.
- Collaborate on implementation of improvements to existing procedures and tools.
- Develop scripts to automate LC Accounts Specialists' support processes.
- Associate's degree in a Computer or Engineering related field or the equivalent combination of education, technical training and related experience.
- Experience working with customers, addressing issues, and managing customer requests on the phone, via email and/or in person.
- General working knowledge of the Linux, Windows and Macintosh Operating systems.
- Experience resolving moderately complex problems with a focus on details to ensure follow-through to assure problems are resolved.
- Experience writing technical solutions and commercial knowledgebase articles.
- Ability to develop and follow detailed policies and procedures.
- Experience and knowledge of the skills needed for a customer support role to include a focus on listening, rapport-building, good written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with individuals with all levels of technical and non-technical skill sets. Display a friendly and approachable nature and the ability to show courtesy and patience under stress.
- Ability to work with other members of the LC division, LC Computer Coordinators and PI's.
In Addition at the 525.3 Level
- Ability to evaluate existing operational procedures and develop and implement process improvement changes to improve LC Hotline operations.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills, attention to detail, consistent resolution of problems.
- Advanced written and verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with individuals with all levels of technical and non-technical skill sets.
- Advanced knowledge of the Linux operating system, Microsoft Office Suite and Service Now incident management system
- Experience working at a service desk.
- Experience using mysql or similar database.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.