National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) is looking for a DevOps Adoption Engineer to join the Adoption team within the DevOps team to help internal teams adopt the DevOps platform.
DevOps Adoption Engineers will report to DevOps and interact closely (or embed) with other internal software development teams (AKA the Customer).
NCBI advances science and public health by providing free access over the web to biomedical literature and genomic data, making it one of the 400 top most-visited sites in the world. NCBI's diverse staff of smart, talented, and deeply technical people collaborate to build critically valuable services for researchers, physicians, educators, students, and the general public. For example, NCBI develops and delivers PubMed, an index of over 29 million biomedical research abstracts, often with links to full-text literature and supporting data. NCBI is located in Bethesda, Maryland, and is part of the U.S. National Library of Medicine, one of the National Institutes of Health.
Duties & Responsibilities
As Engineer embedded with the Customer:
- Embed in Customer's Product delivery team as an Agile team member.
- Optimize for Product delivery velocity rather than perfection.
- Be aware of existing, proven DevOps Platform solutions and use them when applicable.
- Sometimes customer's requirements don't map to existing DevOps platform features. In those cases:
- Inform the DevOps Platform team, listen to advise, brainstorm pragmatic options.
- Provide a pragmatic solution in timely fashion to empower Customer Product Team
- Present and discuss the solution with the rest of the DevOps team
- Depending on the circumstances, custom solutions may remain custom or they may help evolve the DevOps platform.
- If evolving the DevOps platform, help the DevOps team to build and release a permanent Platform feature.
As a member of the DevOps team:
- Stay on top of the DevOps platform development
- Stay in close touch with other embedded DevOps engineers (AKA Embedded DevOps Peers)
- Collaborate with the DevOps Platform Engineers (AKA DevOps core).
- Ensure conforming to DevOps Enterprise standards and principles in Customer's solutions
- Ensure DevOps is aware of any new use cases and patterns that you see while working with the Customer.
- Share experience and your solutions with DevOps core and Embedded DevOps Peers.
- Participate in discussions on evolving the Enterprise Platform to accommodate new use cases.
- Help evolve and test the DevOps platform by applying it in the real world.
- B.S. in a STEM field (Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics, Physics)
- OR equivalent industry experience in Software Development
- Three (3) plus years' of experience
- Expert in at least one programming language, such as Golang, Python, Java, Kotlin, Scala, C, C++
- Understanding of Docker and Kubernetes
- Solid understanding of CI/CD and experience with Git/Svn, GtiLab/GitHub/BitBucket, Jenkins/TeamCity.
- Solid Linux skills
- Experience with AWS, GCP or Azure
- Solid understanding of networking, proxies
- Customer-focused, team-oriented disposition
- Excellent communication and soft skills to deal with customers, peers and management
- Good judgement, sense of integrity and responsibility
- Solid understanding of web development but no need to be an expert web developer
- Solid understanding of distributed systems and micro-services
- Presentation skills
- Coaching skills
- Prior DevOps experience
- Prior GitLab experience
- Prior experience with Cloud Native technologies such as Docker, Kubernetes and Service Mesh (linkerd, istio/envoy, consul connect)
- Monitoring products (TICK/TIGK stack (Telegaf, InfluxDB, Grafana, Kapacitor), Prometheus, Stackdriver, etc.)
- Logging products (ELK, Splunk, etc.)
- HashiCorp products (Terraform, Vault, packer, Vagrant, consul)
- Blue/Green and Canary Deployments
- SQL and NoSQL databases
We are a trusted government partner that blends deep domain expertise with advanced technologies to help our customers solve complex problems that improve, protect, and save lives. As a rapidly growing company, we combine entrepreneurial spirit, customer focus, and an outcomes-based approach to support agency missions in health IT, life sciences, public safety, and grants management.
The Dovel Family of Companies offers employees an opportunity to advance beyond a specific role or contract, we offer a path to develop an enriching career. We believe in empowering a culture of innovation, customer success, and employee growth.
What you'll get...
- Time Off! Flexible schedules and company paid holidays allow you to take the time you need.
- Investment in YOU! 401(K) company contributions are yours to keep with no waiting period.
- Choices! Unique healthcare plans to choose from with options like fertility and orthodontia benefits.
- Discovery! With our tuition assistance and training programs, we support your career advancement.
- Tax Savings! Enroll in pre-tax Health or Dependent Care Flexible Spending, HSA with company contributions, parking, and/or transit commuter benefits.
- Support! Working parents and busy professionals - we've got you covered with a supportive culture, confidential Employee Assistance Program and a membership to Care.com.
- Perks! Employee discounts, peer recognition programs, company-wide wellness challenges, and fun community events.
- A Voice! A unique culture where you can influence decisions and have your voice heard.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer with a commitment to diversity. All individuals, regardless of personal characteristics, are encouraged to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, or veteran status.